Labels

Monday, November 8, 2010

Week 11 Reflection (11/1-11/5)

Yeah so my entire reflection previously got deleted because firefox is awesome like that. Anyway, let me begin this reflection by voicing my dismay at the way class was conducted this week. But before I begin, I shall preface this by saying that I don't think they were done poorly, but that it wasn't what I had hoped.

Based on the readings and blog posts I had been hoping for an epic confrontation between me and the entire class against our lone idealistic interventionist Rowland. Considering how we prefaced the week by watching Black Hawk Down and routinely had dueling blog posts, I look forward to the class being raucous and lively -- preferably with chairs being thrown or something. In this, I was to be disappointed.

What I found interesting was our shift on Thursday to more unconventional definitions of security and wealth, talking a great deal about what makes wealth and how it relates to security. Unfortunately, it seemed we never really got to the Mueller piece but I still found the discussion to be enlightening. After all, is anyone really economically secure? I've seen successful professionals go from the high life to near poverty in as little as 6 months. But speaking on a national level, I think as long as the fundamentals of the economy are sound, then one can say that a country is "economically secure" even if those foundations are occasionally rocked every so often. As I mentioned earlier in a different blog post, there's no such thing as perfect security, either in the traditional sense or the economic sense. A worrying idea and one that affects us all. But by my way of thinking, this is still the best economic system -- there's either a winner and a loser, or just 2 losers.

No comments:

Post a Comment