Labels

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Reflection

Over Thanksgiving break I had a very detailed discussion with my Uncle Adi about the political debate regarding the building of a mosque two blocks away from ground zero. I began the discussion by expressing my outrage at how Renee Ellmers uses the terms "muslim" and "terrorist" interchangeably and how I think she is ignorant and offensive. I also told him that I think that a Muslim cultural center is a perfectly peaceful and pleasant idea for the old coat factory near ground zero.
My uncle, who is very liberal and very open minded and accepting of all colors, races and religions, asked me if I'd seen a particular video of the Dutch politician, Geerd Wilders, speaking. Geerd Wilders is a very radical politician who believes that Islam is spreading to the West because the Koran bids those of the Islam faith to conquer the West. Watch his video and see what you think.
<"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAe9ovNSTg8">

It seems very peculiar to me to think that religious persons are migrating westward in order to smother out other religions. When we visited the French Embassy for our Wednesday lab, the French diplomat told our group that the French government is worried because those who are immigrating into France aren't taking on a French identity. The same issue is happening all over Europe. Persons are immigrating into a country but still identifying themselves as individuals from their country of origin. The French government is trying to reiterate the importance of maintaining French culture and not letting it get diluted with other culture. These ideals are what prompted the ban of the wearing of burqas.
I don't know where I stand on the issue. I certainly don't think all muslims are extremist terrorists trying to take over the world. Learning about this Geerd Wilders and others who agree with him has definitely prompted my recent interest in immigration patterns and the muslim faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment