Labels

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Security and Afghanistan

*Sorry, my computer has been freaking out and I think it deleted this post, so I re-uploaded it.

This week's question asked us whether or not we feel secure with the presence of U.S. troops in Afghanistan.  Personally, I evaluated this question from two perspectives. The first being from my personal life, and the second being a citizen of the United States.  I split up my response to this question because, while both perspectives aren't mutually exclusive, I feel that my life can be evaluated on a daily and a holistic level.

On a personal level, I would have to say that I'm neutral on our troop presence in Afghanistan.  The reason being is that I haven't identified a clear connection between my life and the war in Afghanistan.  While I do understand there are strategic and important interests that lie in Afghanistan, I'll explain that in my other perspective.  There are multiple reasons why I don't identify with the war in Afghanistan.  The main reason is the proximity of the war.  Being almost halfway around the world, I don't see any risk to my security in D.C. or Denver as a result of failure, spill-over, or even success.  While proximity can be used as an argument for the irrelevancy of foreign policy in general, I'm not advocating irrelevancy in foreign policy.  I'm merely using proximity as a mitigation of the importance of the war in Afghanistan to my personal security.  Issues such as illegal immigration from Mexico have a greater affect on my security than Afghanistan.  The reason being that Mexico is of a closer proximity.  There's a higher risk that the issue effects me due to the implications of drugs and jobs taken.  To clarify, it's easier for drugs from Mexico to enter the United States and affect my security than it is for a threat from Afghanistan to enter the U.S.

As a citizen of the United States, I find some importance in the war in Afghanistan.  I feel like there are strategic benefits for stabilizing the Afghanistan such as ensuring the war doesn't spill over into other countries and effect key resources such as natural gas and oil.  Additionally, the war serves as a reassertion of our hard power hegemony which allows us to ensure that various spheres of influence don't overexert themselves.  Strong U.S. hegemony allows us to act as a mediator within conflicts and is a method of maintaining our national security.  Additionally, the minuscule risk of terrorism is more easily dealt with when we have a troop presence in Afghanistan.  Given that, I feel like the war in Afghanistan doesn't have an immediate effect on my personal security, but on a holistic level, it does make me feel more secure.

1 comment:

  1. Just noticed that I spelled *affect wrong.

    spelling fail

    ReplyDelete