Labels

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Afghanistan... does having troops there make you feel safe?

Nope.
That's the simple answer, I suppose. Having troops anywhere outside of the US makes me nervous. This is because I always feel as though the presence of US troops in countries we are at odds with breeds dissent and actually makes the people in those countries hate us all the more, making terrorist attacks more likely.

So, that's why I don't feel safe with troops in Afghanistan.

Now, as to whether I am actually safer or not with troops in Afghanistan, I'm not well informed enough to actually speak in terms of facts. I think that troops in Afghanistan make me safer than I would be if there were no American troops there. Who is to say that the whole country wouldn't just collapse back into the Taliban's control if American troops were to pull out?

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering if you could expand upon your first statement. I understand that your second paragraph explains how you realize that troops can be useful, but why exactly do you believe that American troops have a direct correlation with dissidence within the country?

    Specifically, do you think that the people who are prone to react to U.S' presence negatively are the majority of the population or that they represent a small portion of the population that is ideologically driven.

    ReplyDelete