Labels

Monday, November 29, 2010

Reflection #14

***Updated, found some awesome articles that explain the scenario.

Going home was something I had surprisingly been looking forward too.  I love being in DC but didn't think I'd miss Denver as much as I did.  The break basically consisted of a complete detox from school.  I was able to hang out with my friends, eat a lot of food, do some Black Friday shopping and ended going to a Basshunter concert which was crazy.

While this may not be the most substantive post, I wanted to branch off a post by Christian regarding the recent Korean incident.  My response was not surprisingly different than Christian to North Korean's attack on South Korea.  When I heard about the attack, one of my first thoughts was "IMPACT UNIQUENESS FOR MY NORTH KOREA SCENARIO".  While this probably doesn't make sense to much people (except PTJ), it's not a generally useful thought.  Regardless, as I thought about the matter, I wondered whether or not the world would actually see a real life zerg rush from the North Koreans.  Right now the balance between the two nations is extremely wobbly.  South Korea is prepared for retaliation, North Korean propaganda is perpetuating hate, China is attempting to act as a balancer, and the U.S. is trying to help South Korea while simultaneously trying to push through a South Korean Free Trade Agreement.  Now while I don't know if North Korea has nuclear weapon capabilities, they're playing an extremely convincing bluff.  A professor at Stanford recently indicated that North Korea has a "stunning" secret nuclear plant and even North Korean officials are claiming that they have thousands of nuclear centrifuges.  It is still unsure as to whether nor not these centrifuges are capable of enriching high grade uranium that is a prerequisite to nuclear weapons.  This level of uncertainty means that both the U.S. and South Korea will have to tread carefully to ensure that determine that there's no risk of a nuclear launch.  Additionally, the way China approaches this scenario could potentially change U.S.-Sino relations.  Signs indicate that China is carefully considering its actions and comments as it is receiving pressure from the U.S. regarding its North Korean policy.

Christian's second scenario is quite the scary one.  I'm pretty sure the video I linked above describes what a worst case scenario could become.  With the introduction of nuclear weapons, the situation becomes scary.  If this happens, someone will eventually have to GG.  The future decisions by policymakers will have to be made carefully.  Only time will determine the outcome of this situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment