Labels

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Election Reflection

In the past week I have been officially embarrassed. No, I didn’t trip on stage or have toilet paper stuck to my shoe. Its worse. I am now officially represented politically by Renee Ellmers. “Whats the big deal?” you might ask. If you haven’t stumbled across her before you are in for a surprise. As I shared with the class on Thursday, Ellmers has flaunted her ignorance for all to see. The pinnacle of her witlessness can be observed in her video entitled, “No Mosques at Ground Zero.” Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvKOdiyFaw

Yes. Renee Ellmers just called all muslims terrorists, she implied the supremacy of the english language and she called places of worship “victory mosques.” Not horrified yet? Check out her interview with CNN reporter, Anderson Cooper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfAqarG8l6w&feature=player_embedded

Just to clarify. She says that she is representing the people of district two of North Carolina. Well, I’m from the second district of North Carolina and I detest the ignorance that this new congressman sports with blind pride!

I must admit, I finally feel the sting of election loss. This was my first election and it is truly infuriating to watch one’s country prepare for destruction when all you can do is add your tally to the votes of the masses. I am embarrassed that this woman is even considered a productive and acceptable member of society, and I am mortified that constituents in my district have stooped to voting for such an inconsiderate, ill-informed person. This time, it goes beyond party lines. This is about co-existing, no matter what your person beliefs are.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your view that such a situation must completely disregard party lines and instead must be viewed with a basic acceptance of humanity. I too find it somewhat horrifying that U.S. citizens are so willing to elect such a blatantly ignorant person to lead their country. If we are truly going to attempt to fight the numerous crises threatening the United States at any given time, we will need leadership who is able and willing to form bonds with other societies, not destroy them. I believe the first step to educating Americans and fostering a sense of acceptance will be to have leadership willing to set an example of these goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right. This is one of those times in history when the ignorance of a voting population shows itself in the ignorance of the elected candidate. I guarantee that a factor central to her election was her party affiliation because people will vote with their party whether they know who they are or not.

    ReplyDelete