Labels

Monday, November 15, 2010

Reflection

So, this week seems to have three themes for me; Harry Potter, Mozart, and human rights vs. human needs. All in all, a pretty good week, I'd say. In between being excited for the upcoming premiere and rehearsals for my pending Mozart Requiem performance this weekend (Come see Gabe, Colin, and me!!!), I found some time to think about the difference between what people deserve and what people need.

I really don't like people getting free handouts, but at the same time I would like for everyone to at least have the opportunity to support themselves. The solution? It's an NGO! It's a corporation! No, it's Grameen Banks! More economically sustainable than an NGO, more helpful than a bank, it's here to save the day!

If you couldn't tell, I am a huge, flag-waving, screaming fan girl of Grameen Banks. They are such a great solution; a small loan can allow someone to lift themselves out of poverty. The Grameen method of loaning also utilizes support groups, peer pressure, and education, which results in a payback rate of 97%. No one gets anything they didn't work for, and they can support themselves after the loan rather than relying on society. Not only that, but it satisfies our (or at least my) human inclination to help others in need. Win-win, pure and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment