Labels

Monday, September 20, 2010

Week 4 Reflection (9/13-9/17)

This week in World Politics allowed us to explore the various underpinnings of the notion of a liberal, democratic state. This weeks blog question was perhaps the most entertaining, but also difficult question to date. While I certainly feel strongly about the virtues of the liberal democratic state, having to voice those beliefs and to extrapolate on them posed a challenge. I also found it difficult to formulate an opinion on the issue of the uninformed voter voting. While we are all uninformed to one degree or another, where’s the line? What makes an “informed” vote empirically “better”? Moreover, is it better to note vote while uninformed or to go ahead and make an uninformed choice? I would like to say everyone should just be even modestly informed but looking at the American electorate… well… we need to be realistic. So that part of it certainly posed interesting questions, questions I’m not even sure about my answers to.

Visiting the State Department was an interesting experience as well. I have long been aware of the concept and renewed focus on soft power but still found it an enriching experience. I did think that the presenter tended to gloss over potential troubles and take a rosier view of things but I still found him an immensely interesting and enjoyable fellow to listen to. The ability to get to meet the actual people who turn the wheels of government and interact with them in an informal context is one of the best things UC has done for me and I am continually grateful for it; I look forward to the next such experience at the French Embassy.

No comments:

Post a Comment