Labels

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Reflection, week 2

Ole! Ole, ole, oleeee! Ohhhhleeee, Ohhhhleeee.
Ole! Ole, ole, oleeee! Ohhhhleeee, Ohhhhleeee.

#1 song to get stuck in your head. Ever.

For an American teenager with no ties to soccer past the obligatory year that everyone plays in elementary school, I was astounded at how easy it was to get into the game. Even though I had no affinity for DC United, apart from the geographical one, I really was sad when Columbus Crew scored that goal in the first half, and I was extremely disappointed when DC lost. I screamed and shouted and chanted and sang badly (here's to hoping my voice teacher never reads this post). I clapped and cheered and made a valiant effort to actually understand offsides, and I really, REALLY wanted that ginormous red and black skull and crossbones flag someone was waving across the stadium.

Soccer is addictive! I now understand why the rest of the world loves the sport. The atmosphere was electric, despite the bad fan turnout. I can't even imagine how exciting a game in Latin America or Europe is. It must be comparable to a large political protest , thousands of people being loud and rowdy and generally uncivilized in the name of a common goal (yay puns!).

I am also working on reading The Prince, and I find some similarities between Machiavellian philosophy and soccer. As in, the popular tactic is to foul and hope no one notices, and if you are called out on it, vehemently deny any wrongdoing or point at the other team.

                                          Scariest soccer fan I've ever seen, from this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment