Labels

Monday, September 27, 2010

The Pledge of Allegiance is Fascist and Creepy

I know many people totally disagree with me, but I really do think that making kids say the pledge of allegiance is really creepy and kind of fascist. It seems eerily similar to indoctrination. I was talking with Holly and Artina, and they made a really good point. Why were we expected to pledge every day? Isn't once enough?  How many times do children have to pledge themselves to a country before the government believes they mean it?

Also, I really think that if we have to pledge to anything, it should be to the human race or to the planet earth. Seriously, the kind of nationalism that no one thinks about- like saying the pledge every day- is the kind that scares me the most. Dr. Lawrence Britt (although I can't say anything about his credibility; he could be a crazy for all I know) outlined the fourteen defining characteristics of fascism, and the first one is,
"Powerful and Continuing Nationalism - Fascist regimes tend to make constant use                    of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays."
Sound familiar? I'm not implying that the American Government is fascist or anything; it's just something to think about.

PS, I know this is really heated, so I know I'm setting myself up to get flaming comments. Say what you like.

1 comment:

  1. I don't find reciting the pledge fascist at all. In fact, I think its healthy and respectable. In class, I shared my feelings that saying the pledge honors those that have fought and are fighting for our rights and our protection. Beyond this, however, I must address your use of the term "fascist." The Oxford American Dictionary states "fascism tends to include a belief in the supremacy of one national or ethnic group, a contempt for democracy, an insistence on obedience to a powerful leader, and a strong demogogic approach." Firstly, the United States does not promote itself, or any specific group as supreme and deserving of dominance and world power. Secondly, it would be entirely ignorant to label the Unites States government as having a "contempt for democracy." Considering America was founded on democratic ideals, and the U.S. Constitution exists for the sole purpose of defending that democracy, this aspect of fascism is obviously not a match. As far as "obedience to a powerful leader," it was already addressed in class that the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance is a pledge to an ideal, not to a leader. No classroom full of children is led to recite, "I pledge allegiance to Obama…" It can also be argued the the President of the United States, though influential, is not a "powerful" leader because our government is established with checks and balances, which limit presidential actions and thus the power of the presidency. Lastly, fascism is based on a government exercising "a strong demagogic approach." The freedoms of press and speech make propaganda a difficult business for the U.S. government. Before television and the internet were born, this was an easier task. Yellow journalism during the Spanish American War, Rosie the Riveter during WWII, political cartoons and even Walter Cronkite were all influential aspects of U.S. media, but few were sanctioned by the government and I do not think that these constitute a "strong demagogic approach."
    I find it offensive when U.S. citizens refuse to pledge allegiance to this country. When in a classroom with a student who refuses to pledge I cannot help feeling frustrated. Without our country, the government that runs it and the troops that defend it, it is not certain what my livelihood would be. Many countries do not have mandatory public education, and whats more, there are plenty of places in the world where females cannot get an education. And education is merely one aspect of life and the freedoms granted to U.S. citizens! Saying the pledge is a thank you and a reminder that I pledge to a republic that openly grants "liberty and justice for all."

    ReplyDelete